Monday 28 January 2008

Malta's British Legacy

I have just arrived back home off the plane at Manchester Airport, but I still have two further posts to make. One of the great delights of Malta is that as well as being very Catholic and a welcome relief from winter with such warm weather, is that it almost seems like a corner of England in the Mediterranean. Which is hardly surprising, as Malta was under British rule for nearly two centuries. (This may be a very politically incorrect thing to say, but I am speaking my mind...) I myself have a family connection, as my great - grandmother was a Maltese lady.


















The people drive on the left, red post boxes and telephone kiosks abound, eggs and bacon and roast beef is served in restaurants, and English is of course widely spoken. In fact much that has disappeared in England has been faithfully preserved in Malta: for example many vintage English buses are still going strong. How long all this will last for now that Malta has joined the European Union remains to be seen....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh..i remember the buses...